Tom's birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, November 22, 2010

Feeding time

I had no idea how much of my time avec fils would be spent thinking about food. All I seem to do is think about what Tom's eaten, when he last ate, what he's got to eat next and when. I do the washing and cleaning planning dishes. My thought process goes something like this: "Ok, so he ate a good breakfast this morning but he didn't eat very much pasta at lunch time. He had a banana at 11 though so he's not starving. What can I make for tea? He could have that pasta from lunchtime re-heated, couldn't he? Or is that bad mothering? But he likes it! Well, give him that then. Ok, and I'll stick some fish fingers in the oven for good measure. Now, in the meantime, let's see if he'll finish that yoghurt from yesterday..." My husband thinks I sit at home with Tom, playing all day and occasionally whipping up something yummy and nutritional for our son to eat. He has no idea how exhausting it is for me just thinking what the next thing is to be done. Organise his clothes, pack away the small ones, clean behind the loo, plant the bulbs that mum sent from England, get the water on for the pasta, take him to the park, change his nappy, think about what husband is going to eat when he gets back from work, change the sheets, do a wash, go to the dry-cleaner's, go to the loo and, if there's time, eat something. Phew. I do enjoy it but there's no denying it's tiring.
Tom was ready for weaning from about five months and I started slipping him bits of pureed fruit from about then (my husband insisted we waited until the six-month marker because that's what you do. Ha. He loved it and at six months we started in earnest. He absolutely loved the HIPP products and miraculously also loved the vegetable soups that I invented - thick, peppery carrot soup was his favourite. The difficulty I've found is what to give him now. I mean, he'd be quite happy to eat pasta and pesto every day but I'm not sure that it'd do him much good. He eats fruit happily (and veggies if I make them invisible in other things) and he loves pizza, rice and fish fingers. He's not keen on pies, casseroles, cheese or eggs. Actually, now I've written it down, he's not doing too badly, is he? I'll just have to hope that scrambled eggs and shepherd's pie will grow on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment