Tom's birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Older mums v young mums

I know these days thirty-two isn't considered old to have a baby, but seeing as I'd always envisaged being twenty five with three kids, I could definitely hear the old clock ticking. The year before I got pregnant, my sister-in-law had a baby and she, at the time, was twenty-one. Another sister-in-law fell pregnant at the same time as I did and she is now thirty-nine. We've all done pretty well as mums, I'd say (no broken bones, no manic rushes to hospital with marbles up nostrils, no forgotten meal times etc) but there are distinct differences to our mothering styles. (The following descriptions relate solely to my relatives - I know there are plenty of different mums out there, good and bad young ones and equally good and bad old ones. So there.)
Young mum sister-in-law does absolutely no planning, no preparation, has no personal goals and doesn't know what she's doing from one day to the next. Her two-year old daughter has very little routine in her life and one day will eat a home-cooked meal and the next a happy meal. Young mum never panics and shrugs her shoulders (actually sticks two fingers up) in the face of difficulties. She doesn't worry about pensions, schools and universities or savings accounts and doesn't mind if her daughter watches two hours of tv on the trot. She doesn't worry about her mothering style and doesn't ever question what she's doing. Her life is never predictable.
Old mum sister-in-law, on the other hand, plans everything. She knows what her eighteen-month old will be eating for breakfast for the next month, what he'll be wearing the next day and what he'll be doing at every moment of each day. He has allotted time slots for different activities and is constantly provided with intellectual stimulation. Television is limited, he's already got a place at a primary school and his bank account has been ticking over nicely since he was born.
Money, of course, plays a part in this. Old mum s-in-l is rich, has a nanny and, living in an exclusive part of London, has had to walk across burning coals to get her son into a decent nursery, never mind school. Young mum s-in-l, though, works part time, lives in the north of England where the cost of living is lower and has a choice of schools. Make of that what you will.
 I apologise for the predictability of this but, as a mum, I think I fall somewhere between the two. I'm not great at planning, but I have managed to locate a nursery for Tom (if not actually enrol him yet). I don't have a pension, but I have set up a post office account for him. He watches telly when I'm at the end of my tether, but we also read for about an hour a day. I worry pretty much constantly about whether or not I'm doing things the right way and still check that he's breathing when he's asleep. I should point out as well, though, that all three of these children are happy and well-adjusted and I don't think benefit more from any one style of childcare. And anyway, as I was told early on and as I've read in various books, there is no correct way to be a mum. Whatever you think is right for you and your baby probably is.


No comments:

Post a Comment