Tom's birthday

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Taking advice

Before my son was born I was warned by several people that everyone would offer me advice. I was reliably informed that everyone has an opinion on the best way to raise a child and that mine very often wouldn't be right. No problem, I thought, I'll take the advice graciously but not necessarily apply it. Graciously, my eye. I really thought I was more mature but clearly not; I find myself grinding my teeth, or arguing my contrary case against the advice given to me, often offering proof in the form of balanced research (wikipedia). Of course, it depends largely on where the advice is coming from. I can usually take it from my mum because more often than not I'm the one who's asked for it. My mother-in-law, though, is a completely different kettle of f. She doesn't offer advice, instead she tells me what I'm doing is wrong, or else that it would be much better to do it her way. She doesn't encourage, she watches silently, biding her time until- No, sorry. She means well, I know she does, but her extremely forthright manner is so utterly alien to me, so unlike anything I was used to pre-Italian life, that I find it difficult to nod and thank her for her wisdom. I automatically go on the defensive and ask her why I should stir my risotto slower, why he needs to wear a sweater on top of his shirt and bodysuit when I'm only wearing a t-shirt, and why I have to give him his lunch at 11.30 and his dinner at 4.30 when clearly he gets hungry at 12 and 6. These are small things, I know, and I should be happy that she takes an interest and wants to help, and so my new mini-mission is to bite my tongue and smile (or at least grimace) when she tells me how to do the next thing, and hopefully I'll become a slightly better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment